I have been called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Philippines Cauayan Mission. This blog is managed by my parents. If you would like to contact them, you can email at lindalarson1598@gmail.com

Monday, September 15, 2014

Hump Day & Hurricane Luis

Whoooaaa, we're halfway there. Whoa-oh, living on a prayer! Can you believe it guys? Ya boi (a.k.a me. That's a Matt Conway reference) just hit his 1-year mark this past week. I love it out here so much and I seriously can't believe how fast the time has gone!

Anyways, this week has been a pretty busy one. Wednesday we had a meeting for all the new missionaries and their trainers, which is pretty much just like a "You've survived a month. How's everything going?" reunion for all their greenies. It was a nice little event and the food was great (first time I've had some quality mashed potatoes in quite some time). And also since our area is far away and we didn't want to travel early Wednesday morning, we got to spend Tuesday night at the apartment of the Cauayan Zone Leaders-Elder Bangal and Elder Allred-who happen to be two of my best friends here in the mission. We spent our whole time playing chess, (this has actually become a big hobby of mine here in the field. Anyone, feel free to challenge me when I get home eh?) talking and hanging out. As a missionary, we're obviously out working a lot, but sometimes it is nice to just kick it and have a little fun. 

Thursday we also had quarterly interviews with President Rahlf and a zone meeting. It was rather hard to focus because there was a brownout, so it was really hot (the power always goes out for several hours at a time for absolutely no reason at all. Kind of annoying but whatever) but the gist of our agenda was about gossip and the qualities of Captain Moroni.

And yesterday, we had a typhoon roll through our mission so that was kind of fun...It didn't really hit until night time but the weather was less than favorable during the morning, and that didn't exactly help in terms of church attendance-None of our investigators made it and there was a total of three total members from San Pablo area who showed up (Dad, to answer your question, we are combined with the Cabagan ward-not separate. So the total attendance was still probably around 80-100 or something haha).

We were on lock down last night and had to be back at the apartment before 6:00 in order to be safe before the eye of the storm hit. We got a little jiffy of flooding in the apartment because of a small leak in the wall but we got that cleaned up quick enough. There was also a power outage for like 5 hours so Elder Aguilar and I watched The Best 2 years as we were just sitting around, but thankfully the power came on just as we were ready for bed. And we were really lucky too, because it turns out that all of Tuguegarao had a power outage from last night until earlier this afternoon. Which is why I am e-mailing so late right now. But as D&C 38:30 states, "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." So in short, all is well now. We're good, we're safe, and did I mention that I have now been on my mission for a whole year? (pero of coure, hindi ako trunky haha!)

My mother asked me to expand on my picture with the cow last week. Well basically I just saw a cow by a lake, thought it would be a nice pic, and figured "You only live once" (Although President McArthur recently informed me that the term 'yolo' is no longer in style. Sorry guys, I'm a bit outdated haha!) Hmm seems like that was a kind of long letter so I guess we'll leave it at that. Have a great week guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment